Lemon Bundt Cake with Maple Glaze
- 20 MIN
- 1 HR 20 MIN
For the cake
- 750 ml (3 cups) all-purpose flour
- 10 ml (2 tsp) baking powder
- 2 ml (1/2 tsp) baking soda
- 2 ml (1/2 tsp) salt
- 430 ml (1 3/4 cups) granulated sugar
- Zest (about 30 ml (2 tbsp)) and juice (about 80 ml (1/3 cup)) from 2 lemons, kept separate
- 250 ml (1 cup) Neilson butter, room temperature
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 5 ml (1 tsp) vanilla extract
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) Neilson 2% microfiltered milk
For the soaking syrup
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) pure maple syrup, warm
For the maple glaze*
- 250 ml (1 cup) powdered sugar, sifted
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) maple syrup
- 5 ml (1 tsp) maple extract
*Note: You can also opt for 125 ml (1/2 cup) of maple butter for the maple glaze
- Preheat oven to 175°C (350°F).
- Generously butter a bundt cake pan, then lightly dust with flour, tapping out the excess. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a second bowl, combine the sugar and lemon zest (not the lemon juice). Using the back of a spoon, rub the lemon zest into the sugar until the sugar is moistened, pale yellow, and aromatic (this will provide a brighter lemon flavor to the cake). Add the butter to the sugar mixture. Beat until pale and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating and incorporating thoroughly before adding the next egg. Incorporate the lemon juice and vanilla extract.
- With the mixer on low speed, alternately mix in the flour mixture and the milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mix until just incorporated (do not overmix).
- Transfer the batter into the prepared bundt pan. Use a spatula to smooth out the top.
- Bake the cake for about 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the bundt cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then gently invert it onto a wire rack set over a baking sheet. Do not wait to unmold the cake any longer or it may stick to the pan.
- As soon as the cake is unmolded, use a pastry brush to brush the warm maple syrup all over the cake. Take your time to make sure the maple syrup is fully absorbed into the cake. Let the cake cool completely.
- Once the cake is cool, warm up the maple butter to make it pourable, then drizzle it over the cake. Alternatively, whisk together the powdered sugar, maple syrup, and maple extract, then drizzle over the cake. Let the glaze set for about 30 minutes.
- Transfer the cake to a serving plate or cake stand and serve.