Eggplants and Peppers Turkish Style
- 20 min
- 30 min
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced lengthwise
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- To taste salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 whole red peppers, grilled, skinned and seeded
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) pomegranate molasses*
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) Neilson sour cream
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) Neilson butter
- To taste flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Sufficient quantity pita bread triangles
- Preheat the barbecue.
- Brush the eggplant slices generously with oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the slices on the grill and reduce the heat to medium. Mark the slices on both sides and cook until tender. Transfer to a plate and leave at room temperature.
- Cut the grilled peppers into wide strips and arrange an equal number on each of 4 plates. Add some grilled eggplant slices to each serving. Drizzle with pomegranate molasses and top with a generous spoonful of sour cream.
- In a skillet, melt the butter and heat until foamy and slightly browned. Pour the butter over the vegetables and the sour cream.
- Garnish with parsley and a few grinds of pepper. Serve with pita bread.
* Pomegranate molasses is a very popular ingredient in Middle Eastern cooking. If you can't find it, substitute the same quantity of balsamic vinegar.