DOUBLE STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE
- 20 min
- 35 min
- 450 g (1 lb) fresh strawberries, washed, hulled and quartered
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) sugar
- 250 mL (1 cup) all-purpose flour
- 250 mL (1 cup) pastry flour
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) baking powder
- 3 mL (1/2 tsp) salt
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) Neilson butter, cold, cut into 1/2 cm (1/4 in) cubes
- 160 mL (2/3 cup) Neilson strawberry milk
- 250 mL (1 cup) Neilson 35% cream
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl toss the strawberries with 15 mL (1 tbsp) sugar and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flours, baking powder, 15 mL (1 tbsp) sugar, salt and butter. Use a pastry cutter to work the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse oatmeal.
- Add the Dairyland strawberry milk. Stir quickly with a spoon until the dough barely comes together.
- Dust a clean work surface with flour. Turn the dough out and pat it together. Fold it once over itself and pat it out again to a thickness of 2 1/2 cm (1 in). Cut 4 circles with a wide cookie cutter and place them on the baking sheet. Bring the remaining dough together and cut out 2 more circles.
- Brush the tops of the 6 shortcakes with some strawberry milk and dust with 15 mL (1 tbsp) sugar. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, rotating the baking sheet after 6 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the cream with the remaining sugar until it holds soft peaks.
- To plate the dessert, split open a shortcake horizontally, add 1/6 of the strawberries and their liquid and top with 1/6 of the whipped cream. Top with the other half of the shortcake.