Spicy Chocolate Mousse
- 15 min (+ 6 hours refrigeration)
- 6 h 15 min
- 75 ml (1/3 cup) Neilson 35% cream
- 120 g (4 oz) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) Neilson unsalted butter
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) espresso coffee at room temperature
- 3 egg whites
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 5 ml (1 tsp) Espelette pepper*
- Sufficient quantity shaved chocolate
- In a bowl, whip the cream until it forms soft peaks. Refrigerate.
- Place the chocolate, butter and coffee in a bowl set over (not in) a pot of gently simmering water and stir until the mixture is smooth. Remove the bowl and cool to room temperature.
- Beat the eggs whites, adding the sugar a little at a time, until they form soft peaks. Set aside at room temperature.
- Whisk the egg yolks and the pepper into the cooled chocolate mixture.
- Fold the egg whites gently into the chocolate, one third at a time.
- Fold the whipped cream carefully into the chocolate until thoroughly incorporated.
- Transfer the mousse to one large serving bowl or individual dessert dishes.
- Refrigerate 6 hours before serving. Decorate with chocolate shavings.
*Chocolate and hot pepper are delicious together and the combination is very trendy. But it’s really nothing new: the Mexicans have been doing it for centuries! How much pepper you put in is up to you. If you like it hot, use up to 15 ml (1 tbsp).