Cheesy Macaroni with Confetti Peppers and Ham
- 15 min
- 60 min
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) Neilson salted butter
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) bread crumbs
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) flour
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely diced
- 3 bell peppers, mixed colours, seeded and diced
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) ham, diced
- 250 ml (1 cup) parsley, chopped
- 500 ml (2 cups) Neilson milk
- 250 ml (1 cup) ketchup, chili sauce, or tomato sauce
- To taste salt and freshly ground pepper
- 450 g (1 lb) Saputo shredded taco and nacho cheese
- 450 g (1 lb) uncooked macaroni
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Using 15 ml (1 tbsp) of butter, coat the inside of a 23 x 33 cm (9 x 13 in) rectangular baking dish, then dust with the bread crumbs.
- In a large saucepan, heat the remaining butter on medium heat. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the onions and cook 2 minutes, stirring. Add the peppers, ham and parsley and cook for 7 minutes, until the peppers have begun to soften. Add the milk and increase the heat to high. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook for 3 minutes then remove from the heat and stir in the ketchup. Season to taste, add 3/4 of the taco and nacho cheese and stir to combine.
- Cook the pasta in a generous amount of salted water until al dente. Drain and combine with the sauce. Pour into the prepared baking dish, top with the remaining cheese and cook for 30 minutes or until the top is golden and bubbly.
This is an easy and cost-effective way to feed a horde of hungry kids. In a pinch, use 4 cups of frozen vegetables instead of the peppers, or feel free to substitute your kids' favourite veggies.