Aged Cheddar, Chive and Buttermilk Biscuits
- 30 MIN
- 50 MIN
- 12 biscuits (2 ½ inch)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake flour and regular flour, baking soda, baking powder, sea salt, chives and cheddar, and mix all ingredients well.
- Add frozen grated butter; just mix lightly so butter is dusted with flour.
- Make a well in the center of the bowl and pour in the buttermilk. With a good strong wooden spoon, work the flour into the buttermilk, just until the dough comes together (the dough should just be starting to form - do not over work it).
- Dust the counter with a little extra flour, turn the dough onto the flour and shape it into a ¾ inch thick rectangle.
- Cut the dough with a circle cutter into the desired size (lightly dust the cutter with flour to help the dough from sticking).
- Brush off any extra flour and place the biscuits onto the lined baking sheet. Brush the tops with a little buttermilk to help them colour.
- Bake at 425°F for 15 - 20 minutes. Rotate tray for even cooking after first 8 minutes and continue to bake until golden brown.