Lactose-Free Chicken Pot Pie
- 20 MIN
- 1 HR 35 MIN
- 4 - 6
- 85 g (6 tbsp) lactose free unsalted butter, softened
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 125 ml (½ cup) all-purpose, unbleached flour
- 500 ml (2 cups) Neilson 2% Lactose Free Milk
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 250 ml (1 cup) chicken broth
- 500 ml (2 cups) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 255 g (1 ½ cups) cooked chicken, diced (approximately ½ a store-bought rotisserie chicken)
- Salt and pepper
- Store-bought shortcrust pastry
- In a large pan set over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and cook for approximately 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir well to create a roux. Slowly add the milk and stir well. Add the nutmeg to taste. Pour in the chicken broth, mixed vegetables, and chicken. Adjust seasoning and bring to a boil. Cover and let simmer 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Let cool as you prepare the pastry.
- Place your oven rack on the bottom setting. Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- On a floured surface, roll out the two pastry disks and line a 23-cm-diameter (9-inch) pie dish with one disk. Make incisions in the second pastry disk.
- Place the chicken mixture on top of pastry-lined pie dish. Brush the sides of the pastry with milk, then cover with the second pastry disk. Seal and flute the edges and brush with milk.
- Cook in the oven 50 minutes, or until crust is nice and golden. Let rest 15 minutes before serving.